Tuesday, April 07, 2009

U2 can make a deal

Found in the away message of DC shutterbug pal Sanjay:

Hiroshi Sugimoto’s No Cash Deal With U2

When I first saw the headline, I thought it meant U2 was trying to use the photo with no compensation. Not so, but I'll get to that. Then I saw the part about
“I said, ‘Are you sure? If you use it you won’t be able to put anything on top of it, not even the U2 name,” the artist remembered.and I recalled what the cover looked like:


Actually, the equals sign is just on the plastic wrapper, not the real "cover." (Why would they do that?)

Also, the U2-haters at Pitchfork were quick to the punch earlier this year in sort-of accusing U2 of copying someone else's idea.


The point is, instead of monetary payment, Sugimoto gets to use a U2 song in a project for whatever he wants. Cool idea.

Here is said song, a grab-bag sample of U2's histrionic mediocrity.


img

No comments: